- Case managed support for families if their children have been in care.
- For women who are pregnant and/or families with children from birth to five years of age.
- Services are available in many local government areas.
- Referrals to this service are through Child Protection.
Family Preservation and Reunification Response
The Family Preservation and Reunification Response is a model of case managed support for families. It aims to keep families together or reunify them if their children have been in care. This is achieved by providing the right support, when and where it is needed most and with the right team of people
The Response promotes strong families through an initial phase of rapid, intensive and flexible support, followed by sustained support and transitions to other services based on need.
MCM works with families to create and sustain the life they want by:
- respecting the unique needs, voice and choice of each child and family member
- building safety for children
- improving family health and wellbeing
- enhancing parent-child attachment and interactions
- improving family functioning
- addressing trauma and promoting healing
- strengthening cultural identity and connection
- connecting children to early childhood education, care and school and parents to education and employment
- introducing families to various supports and services, including those within the community
- building self-sufficiency
MCM also supports families engaged with the Response by:
- allowing for the flexible delivery of supports, including intensive in home and outreach support
- allocating funding for practical needs and specialist services to meet child and family needs and goals
How to access our support
Children and families are referred to the Response by Child Protection. Practitioners working with children and families should contact Child Protection if they believe a family they are engaged with may benefit from this support.
MCM provides the Response service to:
- women who are pregnant and/or
- families with children from birth to five years of age
Families must live within the Maribyrnong, Melbourne CBD, Moonee Valley, Hobson’s Bay, Wyndham, Brimbank, Melton, Banyule, Darebin, Nillumbik, Whittlesea or Yarra local government areas.
To speak to someone at MCM about the Family Preservation and Reunification Response, please call 03 9453 6029.