Melbourne City Mission’s Youth Foyers Programs provide supported accommodation for young people aged 16 to 25 at risk of or experiencing homelessness at their time of their referral.
Melbourne City Mission (MCM) has Youth Foyers in 3 locations within 3km of the Melbourne CBD- The Precinct, Hoddle Street, and Lion Garden.
Additionally, MCM has a foyer program located in Wyndham, aligned within the H3 alliance, the Wyndham Youth Foyer Program provides intensive case management and medium-term accommodation and has added component of an outreach case management. With a focus on providing holistic support outreaching to young people currently experiencing or at risk of homelessness to obtain stable accommodation and engage in education, employment and training pathways.
About the role
The Youth Foyers program is targeted at young people who are experiencing homelessness, or are ‘at risk’ of homelessness. The Case Worker – Youth Foyers supports young people residing in Foyer properties to develop positive pathways towards independence with a particular focus on employment, education and training outcomes. Through individual case management and development of independent living skills and community connections, the Case Worker – Youth Foyers assists young people through a transition from dependence to independence.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Provide high quality case management services to young people during their stay at Foyer, and for 6 months after exit (post program support)
- Participate in the development, coordination and facilitation of employment and life skills programs and other group workshops with young people
- Develop, maintain and support a goal plan in conjunction with the young people, which addresses employment, education and training options, personal and specific individual needs
- Assess the suitability of referred clients to the Youth Foyers program and make appropriate recommendations to the Team Leader
- Convene and attend house meetings to ensure development of workable relationships between young people and the development of living skills
- Advocate for clients to community agencies, employment, education and training services, real estate agencies, court etc
Skills and experience
- Tertiary qualifications in Social Work, Youth Work, Welfare Studies or related fields and demonstrated experience in working with young people who are vulnerable
- Demonstrated experience, knowledge and skills relating to current issues, trends and programs relating to homelessness, employment, education and training
- High level of demonstrated experience working within a case management framework
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team
Download a position description for the full duties and key
How to apply
- Applications should include a current CV and cover letter. You should also address the key selection criteria.
- If you are a current MCM employee, please submit your application via the myHR job board
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
- Applications close date 5 March 2021. We reserve the right to interview and appoint prior to the closing date.
For more details or assistance with application submission please email: email@example.com
Applicants will be required to undergo a pre-employment safety screening process as part of the MCM selection process. Appointments to MCM roles will be subject to the following safety screening checks (as applicable to the role): National (and International if applicable) Police Check (which includes Proof of Identity Check), Victorian Employee Working with Children Check, NDIS Worker Screening Check, Right to Work in Australia and current and valid driver licence. All costs associated with safety checks (except National Police Check) will be at applicants’ expense.